Tarte a la Bouille Cake
This classic Tarte a la Bouille Cake recipe makes a perfect Cajun comfort food dessert. Bouille (pronounced Boo-YEE) is a traditional Louisiana treat enjoyed for generations.
Imagine a homemade butter sheet cake smothered with sweet egg custard sauce and baked to perfection. What could be tastier? You will love it for sure! Just read the comments below!
Tarte a la Bouille Cake Recipe
by Brandy D. (South Louisiana)
Enjoy an Original Cajun Tarte a la Bouille Cake
(Source: ©Don Bell)
A Cajun Delicacy
I had my first piece of Tarte a la Bouille cake this Easter! I was with friends in Pierre Part, Louisiana, the heart of Cajun country, where your popularity ranking is based upon your cooking skills!
As a chef, this old fashioned dessert recipe is right on point as to tasting like the real thing! A Cajun delicacy! Thank you Bandy D. for keeping our Louisiana traditions alive. — Rebecca
To substitute 1 cup evaporated milk, gently simmer 2-1/4 cups whole milk in a saucepan until reduced to 1 cup.
Two 12-ounce cans PET Milk (Evaporated Milk), two 12-ounce cans whole milk (use PET Milk cans to measure whole milk), 8 heaping teaspoons corn starch, 2 teaspoons vanilla (OR 1 tablespoon vanilla, to taste), 1-1/2 cups sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 cup of butter.
- Mix sugar, eggs and corn starch together, and set aside.
- Heat 1 can of Pet evaporated milk, 1 can of whole milk and the 1 cup of butter.
- When the butter is melted, add in remaining Pet milk, whole milk, and egg mixture stirring well with a whisk until mixture thickens.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Remove from stove and set aside for butter cake. (Below.)
Butter Cake Batter
1 box of your favorite Butter Cake Mix (we use Duncan Hines®). Prepare batter as directed on back of box.
- Pour cake batter into a greased oblong pan (we use glass), larger than 9x13 inches.
- Pour Bouille custard filling OVER cake batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes.
Pap, pudding, or cake? Your choice what it's called. I haven't eaten this dessert in about 50 years. This is the same Tarte a la Bouille cake recipe my grandma used to make. It's DELICIOUS! — Beryl
I've made about 100 of these Cajun Tarte a la Bouille for all different church, school, family functions, and it's always a hit. Never can make enough for any function! — Rosie
Related Pages You Might Like