This old fashioned Tarte a la Bouille Cake recipe makes a perfect Cajun comfort food dessert. Bouille (pronounced Boo-YEE) is a traditional Louisiana treat enjoyed for generations.
Imagine a homemade butter sheet cake smothered with sweet egg custard sauce and baked to perfection. What could be tastier? You will love it for sure! Just read the comments.
by Brandy D. (South Louisiana)
Two 12-ounce cans PET Milk (Evaporated Milk), two 12-ounce cans whole milk (use PET Milk cans to measure whole milk), 8 heaping teaspoons corn starch, 2 teaspoons vanilla OR 1 tablespoon vanilla (to taste), 1-1/2 cups sugar, 2 large eggs, 1 cup of butter.
1. Mix sugar, eggs and corn starch together, and set aside.
2. Heat 1 can of Pet milk, 1 can of whole milk and the 1 cup of butter.
3. When the butter is melted, add in remaining Pet milk, whole milk, and egg mixture stirring well with a whisk until mixture thickens.
4. Stir in vanilla.
5. Remove from stove and set aside.
1 box of your favorite Butter Cake Mix (we use Duncan Hines®). Prepare batter as directed on back of box.
1. Pour cake batter into a greased oblong pan (we use glass), larger than 9x13 inches.
2. Pour Bouille custard filling OVER cake batter.
3. Bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes.